The friendly stranger



It has been a few months since I last saw my friendly stranger. I could not tell you her name or even describe what she looks like. If I were to guess I could assume that she may be in her late 60's maybe even 70's. She always wore a bucket hat that covered up most of her face and a long rain coat jacket. She reminded me of a childhood book I use to read, Paddington Bear.

It all started about a year ago when I decided to take a different route to work. For some reason, at the time the highways to work where very congested and I had opted to take side roads to avoid all the traffic. Along one of these side streets I passed my friendly stranger. As I roared by her on my motorcycle, she looked up with a big smile and waved, not just a simple "hello wave", but a very enthusiastic wave, much like a fan waving to their favorite music artist that looked in their direction.

I looked around and in my side mirrors behind me thinking that she was waving to someone else, but found nobody but myself around on the road. I didn't think much of it till the following day, when it happened again. I found it funny and confusing at the time. I spent the two days trying to figure out why this elderly lady would be waving at me or where I might know her from. I figured most people in this neighborhood would be annoyed of me riding by their houses, yet day after day I was met with the same excited smile and wave.

As the traffic situation cleared on the highways for whatever reason I opted to resume taking the faster way to work. After a few days I was curious if my friendly stranger would still be there. The following day I diverted my route to take the side roads, like clockwork, there she was waving as she heard the roar of my motorcycle approaching her. I waved back this day, which was met with a even bigger smile and wave. This simple gesture made my day and I subconsciously made a decision that my way to work has forever changed.

I took this route everyday for the last year, looking forward to being greeted by a wave and smile from my friendly stranger and waving back. This is something we shared each morning. Every once in awhile we would miss each other, due to having to go in early, missing work or being on vacation. It was always a pleasure to cross paths after not seeing her.

In many ways this was a morning ritual, much like a cup of coffee. I often thought of stopping and formally introducing myself and saying hello, but never did. I thought of stopping and getting a picture with her, so when I tell this story, everyone doesn't think I am crazy and that a kind gesture between strangers is possible.

As mentioned before, it has been a couple of month since I have last seen my friendly stranger. I often circle the block thinking I missed her by a few minutes and leave my home early or late in hope of passing her once more to receive a wave and smile. I recently ponder what may of become of my friendly stranger and hope that she is in good health.

I have no reason to tell this story, but for the simple fact of telling the story. I have not told anyone about my friendly stranger before. I suppose I miss my morning "hello". If anything, it gives me hope that there is kindness amongst strangers in this world and just a simple gesture to a stranger can brighten their world. 

If I do see her again, I will stop, snap a picture and update this story...





Comments

Popular Posts