30 years of reflection

I came across this old piece that I wrote 5 years ago. It made me think about a dear friend that I have not seen since i wrote this and lost contact with her. I look forward to writing another piece appropriately titled "40 years of reflection" in 5 years. Stay tuned...


A good friend of mine suggested that on my 30th Birthday. I get up do my regular “getting ready for work” morning routine, but this time stand in front of the mirror and reflect. So… this morning I turned 30 and I got up a little early and got ready for work. Keep in mind this takes me about 5 min. I normally don’t look in the mirror that much, onlyy for about a minute, to make sure my hair isn’t sticking straight up and when I am brushing my teeth. I guess I have never noticed how much has changed, for as little as I look in the mirror, I have always noticed a younger version of myself. I guess this is a good indication of how I see myself. I am very comfortable for who I am and secure in my own body. I never really cared what anyone thinks of me. I am just me. This morning was different, still without any concern of personal appearance. I did notice the wrinkles, another big indication that I need glasses, because I squint too much. I noticed the grey hair coming in all over, some minor hair loss. The usual stuff that you expect as you get older, still after checking myself out in the mirror 10x longer than I normally do. I think I’m doing pretty well.




 


Going beyond personal appearance I start to reflect back in my life of where I have been and what I have done to bring me to this day…looking in the mirror. I feel that I have accomplished a lot in my 30 years. I have 12 years of working 40 hours a week spread over two jobs. I have no formal college education, but who cares, I can hold my own in the work field. Einstein never went to college so that is my justification. I am have been married to my lovely wife for almost 4 years we have 2 kids; I am a homeowner and have many wonderful personal items. It didn’t take me long to realize that I have done very well for myself in my 30 years of existence. Besides it was getting weird looking at myself for so long. Though I must say it has been a pleasure to have been where I have been and to be here in the present. I am grateful for my friends and family most of all.

Thanks you Cessilie for the suggestion.



Cessilie and I - 2009



Comments

Popular Posts